[plug] [OT] pic programming

Paul Arch paul at sdmgroup.com.au
Wed Apr 7 13:53:58 WST 2004

> I was wondering if anyone has ideas for good reference source on how to
> program pic microcontrollers.

Linux is a great development environment for programming pic processors :)

Firstly, you will need some sort of hardware setup.
I have a PIC development system from Dontronics (http://www.dontronics.com/)
model DTI-06.  I have interfaced this to an expansion breadboard, using a
simple AC/DC plugpack to power it all.  Bit of a rough construction, but
works fine.

I program the processors using a 5 pin header/cable and  ICDPROG clone.

Programming tool sw for Microchip ICDPROG tool
http://icdprog.sourceforge.net/

Pic simulator
http://www.dattalo.com/gnupic/gpsim.html
( I havent used this myself, but I am told it is very good)

Good references to some other tools via  http://www.gnupic.org/

Hope this gives you a head start.

cheers