[plug] transfer some files between NT4 machines and linux

Denis Brown dsbrown at cyllene.uwa.edu.au
Thu Apr 8 12:55:56 WST 2004

Hello, Bill.

On Thu, 8 Apr 2004, Bill Kenworthy wrote:

> I am trying to transfer some files between NT4 machines and linux using
> a USB key.  Just found out that NT4 doesnt support USB and the only
> add-on packages seem to be propriety.  Does anyone have any suggestions
> or reccomendations on a driver that works?

I see that Leon Blackwell and Craig Ringer have replied and all I would
add is that AFAIK the only USB drivers are proprietary ones (eg the IBM
mouse and floppy disk drivers for their later laptops).   I use a lot of
NT4 and have so far successfully fended off people who think they need
USB.   I know there are suppliers for (for instance) FireWire cards that
allegedly suit NT4 and I have tried to get hold of their API tools,
unsuccessfully so far - they want $$ and Universities are notoriously
unwilling to part with $$ it seems.   NT4 should be able to be encouraged
to support USB / FireWire or so I perhaps niaively think!   But back to
your case...

If Craig's / Leon's ideas regards regards network access / CD-ROM access
are not possible (a dedicated controller machine for a scientific
instrument, perhaps), how about parallel or serial communication from an
el cheapo Linux device that understands USB.   I'm thinking of one of the
Netway Computers' Wizard boxes, here.   Okay, it's a bit of extra
hardware but that might get you out of strife.   Another thought along the
USB / serial line might be a gadget such as DonTronics sells, a USB/Serial
converter.   Not sure if this is possible though in your situation.

A bit more info on what you're trying to do with this "USB key" thing
might stimulate a few more neurons :-)   For example is there any absolute
requirement to use the USB pathway?   You mention the transfer of files,
so maybe the plain vanilla parallel / serial access thingy might work for
you.   Of course a network card popped into the NT4 machine could be the
easiest way forward.

Cheers,
Denis