[plug] fetchmail options

smclevie smclevie at ozemail.com.au
Fri Apr 9 11:46:05 WST 2004

Hi.

Q.  How does fetchmail know where to send the mail??  Does it go to a
$SPOOLFILE??  Does it go to the $MAIL location?
Does the mail go to one location then get divided into mailboxes??

As you can see from my .fetchmailrc config file, there is no explicit
reference to any mailbox...

Does it mean Fetchmail will run without mailboxes set up??

# Configuration created Wed Apr  7 10:23:51 2004 by fetchmailconf
set postmaster root
set bouncemail
set syslog
#set daemon 300
set no spambounce
set properties ""
poll pop.ozemail.com.au
                 with proto POP3
                 user 'xxx' there with password 'xxx' is 'root' here
options fetchall forcecr
poll pop.tpg.com.au
                 with proto POP3
                 user 'xxx' there with password 'xxx' is 'root' here
options fetchall forcecr
poll pop.tpg.com.au
                 with proto POP3
                 user 'xxx' there with password 'xxx' is 'steve' here
options fetchall forcecr
poll pop.tpg.com.au
                 with proto POP3
                 user 'xxx' there with password 'xxx' is 'sue' here options
fetchall forcecr
# smtphost  debian
;

If there is an (one) environmental variable called $MAIL and $SPOOLFILE
then I assume various programs (Fetchmail, Mutt etc.) default to the
settings in these variables..??

Cheers,

Steve.