[plug] initrd

Shayne O'Neill shayne at guild.murdoch.edu.au
Sat Apr 10 14:35:44 WST 2004

Yeah. I used to do a little embedded work (hated it. the dev/test cycle is
painfully slow, and the toolchain is sparse as hell). You really only need
this;-

Kernel. (Try the ucLinux if you can. Its tiny , but thread/fork support
sucks)
uclibc or glibc. again uclib is tiny, but its not featureful.
busybox, with apropriate symlinkage.

and maybe boa webserver.

I'd suggest grabbing axis's distro for its axis development kits. You'd
have to screw around retargeting the kernel back to i386 , but its
probably just some tweaks to config. But that little sucker fits the whole
lot in under a meg, boots almost instant (10 seconds thereabouts..
admitedly off flashrom) and 'just works'.

add in sshd, and even smb for cleverness, and its a really useful kit :)

"Must not Sleep! Must warn others!"
-Aesop.
Shayne O'Neill. Indymedia. Fun.
http://www.perthimc.asn.au