[plug] xkill

James Devenish devenish at guild.uwa.edu.au
Mon Apr 12 13:11:17 WST 2004

In message <1081745972.1642.2.camel at syngery>
on Mon, Apr 12, 2004 at 12:59:32PM +0800, Chris Caston wrote:
> I'm just playing around with xkill and it seems a good app to put on
> peoples desktops so that they don't have to resort to pulling up an
> xterm and using ps aux | grep appname

FYI you usually get neater output by using the Solaris-style `pgrep -lf
appname` or `ps -C appname` (or pkill, etc, depending on what it is that
you know about the state of the system).

> and then kill [its] pid

What's wrong with clicking the 'close' button in the window frame?

> an app with unsaved data that hasn't crashed.

Gasp! Post proof or retract! ;-)

> The one thing I have noticed is that it is quite easy to accidentally
> kill your kde desktop, taskbar

I wouldn't advise users to use xkill. In GNOME, I would simply suggest
right-clicking on the app's icon in the GNOME panel -- the popup menu
gives a 'Kill app' option.

> Is it possible to rig up xkill so that it gives you an "Are you sure
> message" first?

Just curious -- how come you feel the need to kill things so much?
(Please don't kill me -- unless you really really want to!)