[plug] putty for Red Hat Linux 7.3

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Tue Apr 13 17:42:06 WST 2004

On Tue, 2004-04-13 at 17:43, Bret Busby wrote:

> I need putty, as it apparenly includes a "Log all session output"
> option, which is needed.

Script will do the job nicely. Just run `script`, then the commands you
want to log, then 'exit' or ^D to end the logging session.

"man script" for more.

> >From my understanding, putty allows both the logging of a connect
> session with a remote system

If you want to actually log connection negotiation, then using tcpdump,
script, and 'ssh -v' will do nicely. I suspect, however, that you want
to log the user part of the session not the connection - in which case
`script` will do the job nicely.

> and, the transferral of material between
> the remote session and the local host - allowing for material to both be
> saved from the remote system to the local system, and, files from the
> local system, to be put into the session.

You can use scp for transferring files. You can also copy and paste text
from shell sessions, or pipe text through ssh:

find | ssh remotehost 'cat > find_output'

> I have been using ssh (from my understanding, vulnerabilities have
> occurred with openssh, and I do not know whether the ssh that I have
> been using, involves openssh)

If you're using the normal `ssh` program on a Linux distro, then yes it
will be OpenSSH. If you have a version with security holes, you need to
update your system, but that's no more or less true of OpenSSH than any
other app.

> but I am not aware of any ability to
> either log a session

It's not built into ssh, but tools like script (or a terminal emulator
with logging) will do nicely.

>  or to allow inputting files from the local
> system, into the session (notsomuch into the remote system, as
> transferring text into the session and out of the session).

Copy & paste in the xterm, piping text through ssh, etc will let you do
this.

Craig Ringer