[plug] To SUSE or not to SUSE?

Richard Meyer meyerri at au1.ibm.com
Thu Apr 15 10:07:56 WST 2004

----- Forwarded by Richard Meyer/Australia/Contr/IBM on 15/04/2004 09:46 AM
-----

                      Matthew Prouse
                      <mousematt at webace.c        To:       plug at plug.linux.org.au
                      om.au>                     cc:
                      Sent by:                   Subject:  [plug] To SUSE or not to SUSE?
                      plug-bounces at plug.l
                      inux.org.au

                      14/04/2004 06:44 PM
                      Please respond to
                      plug

>Hey everyone!

>I am trying to work out if I want to buy SUSE 9.1 Personal. I have
Mandrake
>9.2 and 10.0 running on all of my workstations and Fedora on my server but

>SUSE 9.1 Personal is only one CD - and I have to be happy with that...
also,
>it's only $50 which is cheaper than renewing my Mandrakeclub subscription
-
>or buying a Powerpack ($120) *I like to buy boxsets rather than download
it*

I am running Mdk 9.1 and 9.2 on 3 machines. I tried installing 10.0, but
halfway through installing extra packages it decided that the next CD
should be mounted at /dev/scsi/lun0/........ instead of /mnt/cdrom, and
refused to continue with the install, when after trying both CD drives on
the machine, I was unable to find that marvellous SCSI device.

Mdk 9.2 was almost as bad for me, since it decided that after rebooting on
my lappie about 3 times that I no longer had any need for klaptop (Shows
the battery chage) and I didn't need the Drakx tools anymore so it hid them
somewhere.

In contrast, SuSE 9.0 sneaked in really slickly, and is the only distro I
have that recognises the SD card that I can plug into the side of my USB
"thumb" drive.

I will definitely be getting the 9.1 Professional upgrade when it comes
out.

>Has anyone here used both Mandrake and SUSE 8.2/9.0? What are they like?
Is

Yes, as I said to someone a while ago, it's like German cars versus French
cars. Solid, reliable, dependable vs brilliance and flash, but not so much
of the solid, relible, dependable. And I don't want to hear about anybody's
old Renault 10 with the gear lever sticking out the dashboard that lasted a
million miles and went 100 kms on 2 litres of petrol. This is my analogy
and facts aren't wanted ;)

>there an advantage to paying for SUSE? Does anyone run SUSE 9.0 here? Will

>you be upgrading?

Oh, yes, as for RPM's vs apt etc, yadda, yadda...

I believe that the SUSE mailing list is full of people advising users to
install apt on SUSE and use that. I do not know whether this version uses
the the .deb packaging or RPM's, but you can assume that it works.

>Thanks

>Matthew Prouse

RichardM