[plug] mta differences

Michael Hunt michael.j.hunt at usa.net
Tue Apr 20 09:32:45 WST 2004

Someone wrote :-

> FYI, while there are problems with Cyrus and Outlook clients, it's
> used by a lot of _very_ large sites (big universities and ISPs,
> tens and hundreds of thousands of accounts), so I presume the issues
> aren't impossible to solve. I haven't paid that much attention, as
> I don't have to deal with OE or Lookout.

I use Cyrus @ home with Evolution on my Linux work station (Debian Sid).
My wife on the other hand uses Outlook 2000 on a Windows XP box.
Consistently she gets an error message saying that the connection to the
IMAP server timed out and that she is now offline (in the mail sense).
Usually a restart, send/receive or just waiting for a few minutes fixes
the problem. At first I thought there was some problem with Outlook then
with my config of Cyrus (rock solid and running the same version on a
Debian Woody box for quite some time - not looking forward to doing the
upgrade on it when sarge comes out though). However it seems that it is
really a combination of the two pieces of software that causes the
problem and is not simply an issue of changing a config or two. More
than likely M$ has implemented the client side incorrectly though with
other IMAP servers it works perfectly fine.

Question for those that are using Cyrus in a production environment what
are you using for your MTA ??? I'm using EXIM simply because it is the
default woody MTA and has an easy to use and get up and working install
script. Is anyone else using postfix with cyrus and if so what has been
your experience ???

Michael Hunt

BTW I told my wife that she wouldn't have this problem if she ran linux.