[plug] a bit more initrd confusion :-(

raven at themaw.net raven at themaw.net
Tue Apr 20 20:47:02 WST 2004

On Tue, 20 Apr 2004, Denis Brown wrote:

I don't understand the problemh here but ...

> a) I have a mostly-non-modular kernel 2.4.25 so if I do uname -r I get
> 2.4.25    uname -r is used in the mkinitrd script to deteremine the
> location of modules for the fresh kernel.

Does it?

> b) My new kernel is 2.4.26 and this time the scsi driver will be modular

So you need an initrd image, right?

> c) If I therefore do mkinitrd -o /boot/initrd.img /dev/sda3    how does
> the mkinitrd process determine that it is the 2.4.26 kernel I want
> initrd'ed and not the current 2.4.25 kernel??????

Maybe initrd has changed but I would use (blindly):

mkinitrd initrd-2.4.26.img 2.4.26

assuming that EXTRAVERSION in the kernel Makefile is blank.

If a previous initrd image exists you also need a -f option.

Ian