[plug] making linux desktops consistent

Denis Brown dsbrown at cyllene.uwa.edu.au
Tue Apr 27 23:08:09 WST 2004

On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 raven at themaw.net wrote:

> On Tue, 27 Apr 2004, Mark O'Shea wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 27 Apr 2004, Sol Hanna wrote:
> >
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > I'm getting two new PCs to be installed with Suse Linux which will add
> > > to two existing Linux clients. They are all connected to a Linux server
> > > running NFS server. I've copied over /etc/passwd, /etc/hosts/ &
   <snip!>

While looking for something completely different I came across this
discussion on large-scale (2500!!) desktop Linux rollout.   FWIW...

http://slashdot.org/askslashdot/00/06/27/1934226.shtml

The contributors seem to be making much the same suggestions as have been
seen already in this thread but it may serve to increase the range of
options.   For instance there is talk of AFS and Coda as alternates to
NFS.   Disclaimer... I have not read the whole thing :-)

Cheers,
Denis