[plug] making linux desktops consistent

Shayne O'Neill shayne at guild.murdoch.edu.au
Tue Apr 27 23:55:31 WST 2004

Ok. We have a small setup at the uni guild it works like this (Sorry I
missed the top half of this convo);-

Guild monster---(nis auth & nfs homedrives)-->"Duckmonster the app server"
----> bsd &/or deb Xterms

The most successfull part of this combo is the nis/nfs combination. The
two protocols seem made for each other.

The X terminal stuff worked well, but theres a world of diference between
running a KDE desktop and a fluxbox desktop, and this is where the plan
kinda falls apart. Fluxbox while perfectly mofo for you or I is plain
baffling for joe shmoozer.

I found two "duck terminals" (yeah, we got some bizare tech humor round
there) is about the limit before it starts really slowing down. The app
server is a intel 1.6gz with 256m mem. Ok. Its not brilliant, but costs an
all.

The research I've done onto it suggests a few possible 'solutions'. I'm
told the preempting in 2.6 works wonders. I've also garnered that the new
gnome (also 2.6 I think?!) works much nicer over remote desktop.
There does also seem to be much to be said for policy. simple themes (Ie
the over the top aqua clone is perhaps a nono) and flat wallpaper.

Other than that, for a couple of terms, its a winner.

Wierd spots: Sometimes on KDE , if a couple of terms are logged on same
user, windows have actually popped up on wrong desktops which is pretty
whacky. Evolution doesnt cope. And Mozilla gets wierd locks.

Shayne.

"Must not Sleep! Must warn others!"
-Aesop.
Shayne O'Neill. Indymedia. Fun.