[plug] distro non-wars: Debian vs Gentoo vs LFS for specific purposes

Ian Kent raven at themaw.net
Wed Apr 28 17:17:38 WST 2004

On Wed, 28 Apr 2004, Denis Brown wrote:

> and Linux From Scratch which by definition, is from sources.   The only
> down side would be keeping up to date with security issues - to do that
> "manually" would mean subscriptions to the security lists for pretty much
> all packages!   But then I need to keep my eye on developments in the
> graphics apps, anyway, so maybe not such a big deal.

Gentoo seem fairly "with it" in terms of app availability. Do you know
that the stuff you need is in the Gentoo tree?

Keeping up to date is not so bad:

emerge sync
emerge -p system (or world for everything)

Check it's not going to do bad things then ...

emerge system

The down side of Gentoo is it keeps a large amount of package info.
including tarballs (some of which you can get rid of if you wish).

Ian