[plug] rooted routing :(

bob bob at fots.org.au
Wed Apr 28 22:00:03 WST 2004

Well I'm obviously missing a piece of the puzzle with regard to routing and
network segments. Some pointers to where I can find clue sticks would be
appreciated.

I am transitioning to ADSL (Netcom NB1300+4) from a dialup.

The current setup is

PPP dialup

Gateway/firewall
	eth0(192.168.0.x)

hosts on LAN

Works a treat.

What I would like to do ( for at least a brief transition period ) is

PPP dialup

	|	ADSL
	|	|
	|	eth1 (192.168.1.x)
Gateway/firewall
	eth0 (192.168.0.x)

hosts on LAN

What I can't even get going is

	ADSL

	eth1 (192.168.1.x)
Gateway/firewall
	eth0 (192.168.0.x)

hosts on LAN

although I can talk to the ADSL config web server I can't seem to route
stuff out through eth1. I _thought_ it was as easy as - on the
Gateway/firewal - del the default gw route (ppp0) add the ADSL box's IP as
a host route and then add eth1 as the new default gw... apparently not :(.

I had a theory it might have been the iptables fw... nope. I briefly cleared
it and still no show.

Adding a route to 192.168.1.x to hosts on LAN and setting that as its
default GW appears to work for a while then fails (is this a problem with
multiple paths to the ADSL box? ) and does not achieve what I want in any
case.

Attempts to look back into my network on the ports I have routed on the ADSL
box to the Gateway/firewall - from spark - gets "Unable to connect to
remote host: Connection refused". (even with the fw down)

I have tried everything I can think of and read so much I am becoming even
more confused as to how to proceed - I would very much appreciate some
assistance in sorting this out.

Thanks.

--
You can't cheat the phone company.