[plug] making linux desktops consistent

Bill Kenworthy billk at iinet.net.au
Thu Apr 29 11:48:36 WST 2004

Once worked in an environment where all the /homes (and cvs, and ...)
were mounted via nfs.  Up to 35 users - mounts were from multiple linux
and sun machines.  Worked well enough for me to say go for it.

Points where it can (and sometimes did) fail were full home partitions
(one user downloading an iso could kill everyone else when the partition
hit full) - requires "active" management - quotas may have fixed this,
but would have been at the cost of wasted space so were not implemented,
and flaky automounts were a constant source of grief (contention?).
This was ~3 years ago so the code may have improved but my experience
then was automounters are appropriate for occasionally accessed mounts,
but manual (in the fstab as auto) mounts are more reliable for others
such as /home.  There is now an nfs over tcp option that may help with
network hassles which has helped on my home network.

BillK