[plug] making linux desktops consistent

Ian Kent raven at themaw.net
Thu Apr 29 13:29:37 WST 2004

On Thu, 29 Apr 2004, Bill Kenworthy wrote:

> Once worked in an environment where all the /homes (and cvs, and ...)
> were mounted via nfs.  Up to 35 users - mounts were from multiple linux
> and sun machines.  Worked well enough for me to say go for it.
>
> Points where it can (and sometimes did) fail were full home partitions
> (one user downloading an iso could kill everyone else when the partition
> hit full) - requires "active" management - quotas may have fixed this,
> but would have been at the cost of wasted space so were not implemented,
> and flaky automounts were a constant source of grief (contention?).

I'd have to disagree on this.

I have 24 Linux machines that are used for batch processing. They are
constantly mounting and umounting NFS exports from our Sun servers. They
are easily up for weeks at a time. The occassion that problems are caused
by autofs is rare these days.

But then I'm biased and I fixed my own problems first.

Over the last 2 - 2.5 years I've worked hard to make autofs more stable
and I have made reasonably good progress.

Ian