[plug] winmodem on Acer laptop

Brad Campbell brad at wasp.net.au
Sun Aug 1 15:41:31 WST 2004

Bernard Blackham wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 01, 2004 at 02:16:46PM +0800, Jim Householder wrote:
>
>>Has anyone had any luck getting the winmodem in an Acer laptop working?
>>Lucent chipset I think.
>

> I tried several times a year or so ago, for my TravelMate 529ATX. I
> couldn't find anything at the time that'd work. I don't think it was
> a Lucent either. I'd need to boot into windows to find out though :(
>
> I think modems on most laptops, except for perhaps Toshiba's and the
> other occasional success story, were generally considered a lost
> cause.

I have had good luck on all my existing laptops. Most thus far have been Lucent PCI modems and
worked perfectly with the LTmodem driver. This new one with the AMR driver has been a bit of a pig
until I found the slmdm driver.

Many of the machines that run other AMR modems have some sort of driver, but the Lucent ones are the
hardest to get running and hardest to get a driver for.

As a backup I always carry a Xircom Realport 10/100/56k Modem card anyway.

Regards,
Brad