[plug] SCSI cards

Michael Holland myk at westnet.com.au
Mon Aug 2 08:56:52 WST 2004

On Sat, 31 Jul 2004, Bernd Felsche wrote:

> compared to the fastest SCSI. Some of the SCSI drives have sustained
> throughputs in excess of 80 megabytes per second; so four on each

Given that an actual SD broadcast is less than _one_ MB/sec, thats an
awful lot of headroom.

> 8 broadcast-quality video channels per SCSI drive.

So editors use around 10x broadcast bandwidth per channel? Is this the
normal ratio of mjpeg to mpeg2?
 It would seem a bit excessive these days. Why not keep mpeg2 on disk,
and decode it real-time into memory buffers for editing?

> A single PATA running at 7200 rpm is _enough_ for broadcast-quality
> editing; but you have to be patient. If you stripe and mirror across
> 4 drives, then there's ample bandwidth.

I'd like to see an editor that will do 'mark-ups', and show it as best as
it can (draft) in real-time. Then when you are finished, it can take as long
as needed to render a high-quality version unattended.
   Does such a thing exist on Linux? Am I making any sense? Sorry, I don't
know the terminology.

--
The best things in life go on sale sooner or later.