[plug] autofs compared to smbmount

Trevor Phillips trevor.phillips at gmail.com
Mon Aug 2 11:28:16 WST 2004

On Mon, 02 Aug 2004 11:18:44 +0800, Marc Wiriadisastra
<marc-w at smlintl.com.au> wrote:
> Can someone point out the difference between the 2 programs or whatever
> they are I'm assuming programs.
>
>  From reading some web sites you can use both to mount file networked
> share directories like for example my home directory on another computer.
>
> Is there any benefit to using one more than the other?

Errr, they're very different. ^_^

smbmount is used to mount Samba shares (ie; Windows shares). It's like
the normal mount program, but specifically for SMB shares. So you may
go:
   smbmount '\\foopc\share' /mnt/foopcshare

autofs is a way of automatically mounting shares (be they SMB, nfs, or
local devices) upon demand. There's a bit of configuration to it, but
it means that instead of having to run mount (or smbmount), you can
just cd directly to a specially formatted path. eg;
   cd /auto/smb/foopc/share

autofs is great - but can be a pain to set up well. ^_^

--
Trevor Phillips  - http://jurai.murdoch.edu.au/
Web Technical Administrator  -  IT Services, Murdoch University