[plug] mbox archiving

Cameron Patrick cameron at patrick.wattle.id.au
Mon Aug 2 20:55:00 WST 2004

Brad Campbell wrote:

> for i in *.mbox ; do march -age 60 $i ~/marchive/$i ; done
>
> Where march is my wishlist vaporware app, and have it just grab the old
> messages and move them to the other mbox.
>
> Anyone seen/done similar?

There exists a programme called archivemail which does exactly what
you want.  It can even optionally compress your mboxes.  I'm a little
paranoid about it corrupting mail, though.  (Mainly due to the way
mutt uses an mbox format slightly different to the rest of the world:
it doesn't quote From_ lines and instead relies on the Content-Length
header.)

(I looked at archivemail, and then decided that since I'm using
Maildirs for everything else, I might as well use them for archiving
too -- and archiving old mail in maildirs can be done easily with find
and mv.)

Cameron.