[plug] [OT] After Year 12

Arie Hol arie99 at ozemail.com.au
Tue Aug 3 23:02:05 WST 2004

(To P.L.U.G. Members : this is quite a long one, my critics may not want to read this)

Hello Tim,

In your email you have made some profound statements about your self and your abilities, and I
perceive that you are a talented young man with a sure dedication to your skills and abilities,
however you show some uncertainty about your future.

At your age that is not such a bad thing, but because you have stopped to ask yourself some very
meaningful questions about your future and aired your thoughts to the people who subscribe to this
this list - I think you deserve some sound advice.

I am not sure that my advice can be considered the best, but I will try to provoke some more
thought on your part, by dissecting your call for guidance and answering from my personal
experiences.

If some of my comments seem to be a bit harsh please forgive my approach - if I'm wrong you can
tell me in ten years time.

> As some of you may know I have a passion in computers,

Passions can fade, and the reality that remains can be disastrous with long term affects.

> Since then I have picked up a greater desire to program and am often
> found spending a whole weekend developing an application[1] instead of
> doing study or homework.

There is more to life than being a "code monkey".

> I don't enjoy study or homework unless it is on
> a computer. I am alright at Calculus[2] and Applicable maths. I am also
> doing physics, geography and English all of which I can do if I study
> harder.

Your whole existence and survival will depend on your ability to learn and adapt to changing
circumstances - it never ends - it just gets more diverse and far reaching

> I have topped WA in the UNSW Computer Competition 3 out of 4 years so I
> am confident that I have skills in the computer area apart from the fact
> that I enjoy it heaps.

Some proof of your talent and dedication - driven by your passion.

> Apart from the fact that I hate school and am not looking forward to the
> upcoming TEE exams I am still going to do them.

Exams are important to your progress, but are not worth worrying about - they only show what you
don't know and have not learnt. There are much worse tests and trials in life that you cannot study
or prepare for - they can eventuate without any prior warning.

> What I am writing this for is guidance. I really enjoy programming especially when it can help
> someone else other than just me. I am not sure of what to do after year 12.

It's great  to see that you like to help other people, but will they help you pay your bills and
meet your commitments (tomorrow, next month or in ten years time).

> I know that there is Computer Science and Software Enginerring that I
> can do at Uni but I'm not sure if I want to.

There are many "computing" related degree courses available, Computer Science being the most
traditional. But, is it the most relevant? - We live in a changing world - new technologies will
emerge and some will merge with others and some will disappear over the next few years. Consider
security based technologies, bioinformatics, personal identification and validation systems to just
mention a few - where will you fit in these scenarios - you have the passion, dedication,
initiative and the talent - but you may also need the background - this may be based on your
education.

> I also know that I can't live off prgramming for the Open Source
> community unless my work is so good that donations come pouring in or I
> get commercial customers [3]

Donations are great - but will they suffice as an adequate reward for a lifetime of work.

> [1] As most of you can't know I am developing a web based chat client
> similar to IRC which will soon be found at http://ihcc.sourceforge.net
> (In the next week or so) or for an old version

More proof of your talent, initiative and dedication.

In summary, going to uni is about more than just a piece of paper, it says something about your
character and your personality, as well as the ability to make a serious commitment to your self
and seeing it through to reach your stated objectives. It is not a beginning - nor is it an ending,
it is just another stepping stone in the life of Tim White.

It is my guess that because you have the good sense to stop and ask profound questions of yourself
and also to ask your peers on this list for guidance, that you do care about your self and I
predict  that you again will ask the same profound questions of yourself in ten years time. If you
make the right choices now - then the answers will unfold as you go through life and you may never
need to ask those questions again.

Some background, I worked as a Rigger and a Scaffolder in the oil and construction industries for
over 25 years, but due to work related injuries I was forced onto a disability pension 13 years
ago.

I was bored sh**tless, so I went to TAFE and learned about computers and programming, it was not a
passion for me - it was an obsession. I eventually got my Diploma, but with declining health it was
difficult for me to convince prospective employers of my potential as an employee. So I went on to
uni -"hahahahaha" I said.

Well I was offered a place at Murdoch in 1999, and my life took on a new meaning - even though I
felt terribly out of place due to my age.

Well, I got to know a lot of talented young people such as yourself, and I stand in awe of what
some of them have achieved over the last few years. Those that applied themselves and believed in
what they were doing - ALL had a choice of jobs before they had even graduated. There were some
that did not apply themselves - they took their talent and their place in society for granted -
most of them are either unemployed or working in second rate jobs (not necessarily IT related).

I am now 54 years of age and can look back and admit to my mistakes( and suffer in silence) I can
also gloat about my successes in life - but hey, I was lucky - I have three great kids (all adults
now ) and a great Mrs. I have a nice home and a regular pension. I am still hopeful of a future in
IT. (If my luck doesn't run out)

So Tim, keep your options open and at all times gain the high ground, it will give you a wider view
of the horizons in your life.

You have got what it takes to get wherever and whatever you want in life, but you must believe in
yourself and make the commitment soon. And I mean real soon.

Good luck and best wishes, I look forward to hearing from you in ten years time. I know where I
will be, how about you?

If my words have offended, accept my apology - my words are intended to provoke thought.

Regards Arie