[plug] HP to ship the NX5000 (laptop) with SUSE pre-installed.

Senectus . senectus at gmail.com
Thu Aug 5 09:25:45 WST 2004

> > For those on the hunt for "MS tax" free and linux supported laptop.
>
> Tax free? I believe the Linux version costs the same as the XP-home
> version. Is that because MS still charges for OEM licensing on a
> per-box-shipped basis ? ie part of your money still goes to Microsoft.
> Have any of the court cases managed to change that?

The story said that the linux version is 60 bucks less so I'd say its
the "personal/free" version.
and as for the MS tax, The OEM licence doesn't apply here because
there is nothing to license and there is no "dos tax" anymore because
hard drive manufacturers now use "free dos" and other OS's on their
drives.

--
Attacking Linus' integrity and character is like clubbing baby seals.
- PJ, Groklaw.net