[plug] List administration and policy - was RE: [plug] 3 Year Warranty

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Thu Aug 5 11:18:35 WST 2004

James Devenish wrote:
> In message <d12e5c904080418384e02c0a5 at mail.gmail.com>
> on Thu, Aug 05, 2004 at 09:38:37AM +0800, Senectus . wrote:
>
>>>Oh wow,...thanks for pointing that out.
>>
>>ahh that would be sarcasm?
>

> No, not at all! I had not realised that comments about being "taken
> off-list" could be misinterpreted (the phrase is familiar to me). I was
> actually thanking you for clarifying the alternative interpretation.

I, too, was reading the exchange with increasing bewilderment. Your
clarification is much appreciated. As I avoid web forums like the plague
and don't read any moderated newsgroups, the whole idea is relatively
unfamiliar and I certainly wouldn't have thought of it as an alternate
meaning for the phrase "taken off list".

I'm really only a [plug] list admin so I can help wade through the spam
(something I've been terribly lax about lately. James: did that mailman
upgrade help the delete issue as you were hoping?). I have no right or
standing to attempt to impose policy even if I wanted to. Even if I
could do so, I wouldn't want to - or really have anything to impose. The
usual suspects - advertising messages, excessive flames, and rampant
off-topic discussion - don't seem to be an issue here anyway. If
something comes up, it seems to be dealt with quite nicely by list members.

--
Craig Ringer