[plug] HP to ship the NX5000 (laptop) with SUSE pre-installed.

skribe skribe at amber.com.au
Thu Aug 5 15:54:44 WST 2004

On Thu,  5 Aug 2004 15:38, Craig Ringer wrote:
> skribe wrote:
> > That might have been the case with IBM-PC clone drives but it certainly
> > wasn't the case with those made for the Amiga, which IIRC at the time
> > outsold the PC.
>
> Did the Amiga use SCSI disks like the Mac?

It could but IIRC mine was IDE.

> Alternately, it might be that it
> only applied to retail disks and disks shipped to OEMs. I'm just
> guessing here, of coures.

My first Amiga HDD (20M) came as a 'sidecar' which was plugged into the Amiga
- there was no internal hdd per se.  We then had to format it and install
AmigaOS from floppy.  This was standard.  There was no option for a
preinstall by the shop geek - they were even more clueless than they are now.
If you turned the hdd off overnight you had to lock the it (via an icon on
the desktop IIRC) and then unlock it when you restarted. You also had to lock
it and remove the hdd f you wanted to move the computer - which we did a lot
to play games over a serial cable at one another's homes.  Ah, those were the
days =).

I've still got it btw.  Haven't booted it in 10 years.

10
--
Public key information available at:
http://www.amber.com.au/~skribe/publickey.html

Vegetables are what food eats.
Fruit are vegetables that fool you by tasting good.
Fish are fast moving vegetables.
Mushrooms are what grows on vegetables when food's done with them.
		-- Meat Eater's Credo, according to Jim Williams

Xaraya Content Management Solutions http://www.xaraya.com/