[plug] [OT] iiNet, ADSL, & Westnet

Bret Busby bret at busby.net
Fri Aug 6 15:01:23 WST 2004

On Fri, 6 Aug 2004, Leon Blackwell wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 06, 2004 at 02:00:29PM +0800, Bret Busby wrote:
> > I have sent Craig a message, off-list, referring to my experiences with
> > Arachnet
>
> Though I hesitate in taking this even further off topic, but what is the
> point of sending an off-list email and then posting on-list to inform
> people of it?

1. A previous, interim message, sent off-list to Craig, was not
acknowledged, so it was not known whether it was seen by Craig. That is
an observation, not a request for an acknowledgement of the previous
off-list message.

2. In that context, and as Craig may allocate a different priority to
reading list messages, as this is the list on which the thread appeared,
Craig may be alerted to the message having been sent, and therefore go
looking for it (if he is interested), in perhaps a different location
(eg, folder), to where he may look otherwise. (E.g., if his PLUG
messages go to one folder, and some other messages go elsewhere, where
he may not so frequently visit, he may be inclined to go there, looking
for the message)

3. In the circumstances, and, as merits and otherwise of various ISP's
were discussed at the time, whilst the thread was from about 6 weeks
ago, as mentioned in my earlier posting today, matters had reached a
critical point, and, so, posting to the list, the message that I posted
earlier today, shows that a problematic situation has occurred and got
worse, with an ISP previously considered on the list.

4. It also indicates that a response has been sent, to the particular
issue, and it sometimes occurs, that people post messages on mailing
lists, in response to a query/message, stating something along the
lines, "I have responded, off-list".

Thus, it is not something that does not happen on mailing lists, it
indicates that a response to the issue has been made (and that it was
made off-list), and, it alerts people to a problem (or to problems)
having been encountered with the particular ISP mentioned, without the
details having been published on the list.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

 you'll know what the answer means."