[plug] mirroring and updating a remote http directory

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Fri Aug 6 16:12:18 WST 2004

On Fri, 2004-08-06 at 12:25, James Devenish wrote:
> In message <41130233.7040206 at jensz.id.au>
> on Fri, Aug 06, 2004 at 11:59:47AM +0800, Ben Jensz wrote:
> > http://www.vet.com.au/files/libad/sigs/ is the URL.
>
> Hmm...I wonder if VET are intentionally trying to be unhelpful, or
> whether their server configuration is based on some policy against
> unofficial mirrors. Their headers include:
>
>     Cache-Control: no-cache, must-revalidate
>     Connection: close
>     Pragma: no-cache

Given that it's an antivirus company, I'd say they'll be doing
everything they can to get clients to ALWAYS see the very latest
version.

If they wanted to be unhelpful, given they're an AV vendor I expect
they'd be doing User-Agent checks or other irritations to confine access
to their approved clients. Merely preventing caching seems more likely
to just increase load on their servers (lots of people would probably
say "oh, well, I'll download them all anyway) without really preventing
anything.

--
Craig Ringer