[plug] Acer 5020.?

Mark O'Shea mark at musicalstoat.co.uk
Mon Aug 9 11:43:14 WST 2004

On Mon, 2004-08-09 at 11:17, James Elliott wrote:
> I apologise if this is off topic but it is so that I can use this computer
> for on topic purposes, and this is a very clever group with diverse
> experience.
>
> I put a new HDD into my Acer 5020 desktop tower and need to get into Setup
> (BIOS) but a previous owner or the factory has password protected the CMOS.
> Taking the battery out does not get rid of the password.  Acer will tell me
> how to do it for $60, but I was hoping someone here might know.

How long did you take the battery out for?  You might need at least 15
mins, or in some cases 24 hours to reset the bios.  There are also some
little programs that will try to find the password for you.  CmosPwd is
one (http://www.majorgeeks.com/download239.html) that works on linux and
dos but google will probably find a lot more.

--
Mark O'Shea