[plug] /bin2 ?

Russell Steicke r.steicke at bom.gov.au
Tue Aug 10 16:32:43 WST 2004

On Tue, Aug 10, 2004 at 03:46:47PM +0800, Bernard Blackham wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 09, 2004 at 04:38:53PM +0800, Russell Steicke wrote:
> > I've just noticed something slightly odd on a debian sid machine.  Some
> > of the daemons have a /bin2 entry in their PATH environment
> > variables[1].  I can't find out where this came from.
>
> At least Debian's initrds, utilise /bin2 to temporarily accomodate
> using a read/write bin on a read-only initrd. I don't quite
> understand why, but it does :) The scripts of initrd-tools should
> offer some more insight.

A-ha!  /sbin/init in the initrd image is a /bin2/sh script that sets
that path.

  export PATH=/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/bin2

So that's where it's coming from.  The other machines haven't had a
kernel built for a while, so their kernels were built with older
initrd-tools versions.  The bug report in sysvinit probably came about
after the addition of /bin2, I guess.

Thank you.

--
Russell Steicke