Fwd: Re: [plug] mounting home directories

James Devenish devenish at guild.uwa.edu.au
Wed Aug 11 14:34:20 WST 2004

In message <4119B812.9000004 at smlintl.com.au>
on Wed, Aug 11, 2004 at 02:09:22PM +0800, Marc Wiriadisastra wrote:
> From what I'm reading I should have a central authentication method in
> the sense that my laptop and every other machine windows or not should
> authenticate when trying to access to the server

In a workgrounp environment, that makes sense. If you need to fudge it
temporarily for your laptop, though, I imagine you will need to use some
Samba options or revamp the 'marc-w' account on your laptop.

By the way,...I don't quite understand Ian's question:

In message <Pine.LNX.4.58.0408111150250.7214 at wombat.indigo.net.au>
on Wed, Aug 11, 2004 at 11:52:14AM +0800, Ian Kent wrote:
> Why is Samba involved here? It looked like the question related to
> Fedora <-> Fedora communication. Is that actually the case?

Marc...I was under the impression that you were using smbmount, and
it is part of Samba. "Fedora <-> Fedora communication" sounds pretty
generic, like saying "computer <-> computer communication".

To revise what we have learnt about your situation so far:
    On the server, UID 508 has the name 'marc-w'.
    On the client, UID 500 has the name 'marc-w'.
    The files you want to access are owned by UID 508 (i.e. 'marc-w'
    on the server or merely '500' on the laptop).

Note that the files are *not* intrinsically owned by 'marc-w'. Rather,
they are owned by 508. The name 'marc-w' is just a facade (sorry!)
because names are nicer to work with. Thus, both your server and your
laptop need to agree that 508 is 'marc-w' and that 'marc-w' is 508 (i.e.
they have to agree on those TWO facts), OR you need to allow them to
disagree by having Samba map between 508 and 500. This is what UNIX
administrators expect. I'm not quite sure of the relationship between
this and Windows. Either Windows is doing some mapping on your behalf
(which would be worrisome to most UNIX admins), or perhaps it isn't
really working.