[plug] [OT] bur.st unreachable

Harry harrymc at decisions-and-designs.com.au
Thu Aug 12 15:11:39 WST 2004

On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 14:43:35 +0800 (WST) Matt Kemner <zombie at penguincare.com.au> wrote:

> On Thu, 12 Aug 2004, quoth Ben Jensz:
>
> > (pretty much everyone).  Its affected authentication I believe... so
> > bridged users (like my work) haven't had a problem.
>
> None of my customers' bridged connections dropped out today, but almost
> all of the PPPoE ones did..

Scuse my confusion but Westnet said our bridged mode was the reason that
we couldn't connect. It just came back about 52mins 33secs ago. When you
say PPPoE, do you mean running on the modem ? Either way it's all very
odd since different folks seems to have different symptoms.

Westnet were very good. With the flood of calls they put a clear and
informative message on the front of their call queue system that
explained the situation and suggested sitting tight until "the
wholesale ADSL provider" fixed it but apologising because Telstra
couldn't advise when they would resolve the problem.

During initial chats to the support people they offerred assistance
to convert the modem back to PPPoE (on the modem/router) if we wanted
help with that but, based on disparate observations, perhaps they decided
it was better for all but the more advanced users to sit it out rather than
start dicking around with everyone's configs.

We decided to just wait but it's felt like loss of a few limbs being
without 1.5Mb for most of the day *wibble* *twitch* *shudder*

> > Caused by a Telstra upgrade gone wrong again (seriously, do they even
> > test upgrades/updates before they do them?).
>
> My guess is they installed XP Service Pack 2

In a single nationwide upgrade ? I hope the TIO will be unsympathetic.
I'll be asking Westnet if they would please convey unsympathies on my
behalf :-\

Harry

--
Are you a computer angel?	http://www.computerangels.org.au/