[plug] [OT] Report generating utils windows

Ryan ryan at is.as.geeky.as
Fri Aug 13 14:35:29 WST 2004

On Fri, 2004-08-13 at 14:26, Craig Ringer wrote:
> Paul Arch wrote:
> >>Does Python install under Windows? Are you comfortable with Python? If
> >>so, can you use ReportLab? It comes with Craig Ringer's endorsement ;-)
>
> Admittedly my somewhat incoherent and zombie-like endorsement at the
> time. Next time I'll get enough sleep first ;-)
>
> > Python does install under windows.  Am I comfortable with it ? Well, I
> > havent actually programmed in python before :) I do have a book somewhere
> > though.
> >
> >  Is there a visual tool for creating the reports ? Or do you have to code
> > from scratch each time ?
>
>  From scratch, I'm afraid. Reportlab is an extremely useful tool, but is
> definitely not for everyone or all purposes.

There is also the option of pumping HTML into htmldoc to make PDFs if
that's useful/familiar - there is even a Debian package.  I do it for
several systems at work, and it does a very good job.  Works on Windows
too.

http://www.easysw.com/htmldoc/

I have written some Perl templating wrappers around it if you go down
that road :)

Ryan