[plug] hiding service banner

William Kenworthy billk at iinet.net.au
Sat Aug 14 15:41:16 WST 2004

This may fix part of what you need:

echo "I am a banner" > /path/banner.txt
edit /etc/ssh/sshd.conf (for gentoo)
add/uncomment "Banner /path/banner.txt"

I think it can do executes too, but I haven't tried it

I find changing the default banner a good security thing to do - at
least I can see its one of my systems I am logging into, not a fluke
similar system which I did try and log into once and wondered why it
wouldnt accept my password (4df#$% dynamic IP allocations!).

BillK