[plug] Device usage

Cameron Patrick cameron at patrick.wattle.id.au
Tue Aug 17 16:55:17 WST 2004

James Devenish wrote:

> % fuser /dev/dsp
> 7553

Better yet, use fuser -v:

$ fuser -v /dev/dsp

                     USER        PID ACCESS COMMAND
/dev/dsp             cameron   10343 f....  xmms
                     cameron   10344 f....  xmms
                     cameron   10345 f....  xmms
                     cameron   10346 f....  xmms
                     cameron   10347 f....  xmms
                     cameron   10348 f....  xmms
                     cameron   10349 f....  xmms

> The above implies that my sound daemon is "esd" (and that Gnome has
> been taking care of this for me). I could then choose to kill esd
> myself (e.g. `pkill esd`).

'fuser -k /dev/dsp' will kill (forcibly!) anything that's using /dev/dsp.

> Oh dear, seems like I have some Linux-specific knowledge.

See what happens when you get involved with the wrong crowd :-P

Cameron.