[plug] CD/DVD recovery

Andrew Furey simpware at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 17 17:02:04 WST 2004

Brad Campbell wrote:
> [snip]
> The script below is the result.
>
> It reads a dvd/cd 10000*512 bytes at a time (dd
> standard blocks) and will retry a block until it's
> blue in the face. If it reads a partial block it
> will take up reading from the end of the completed
> portion next time and if it reads nothing it will
> wind back 10 blocks and have another go.

Not particularly wanting to rain on your parade, but
wouldn't dd_rescue do a fair bit of the above? I've
used it several times on hard disks, worked quite
well.

Andrew

=====
Linux supports the notion of a command line or a shell for the same
reason that only children read books with only pictures in them.
Language, be it English or something else, is the only tool flexible
enough to accomplish a sufficiently broad range of tasks.
                          -- Bill Garrett

http://au.movies.yahoo.com