[plug] Converting Video formats on Linux

Chris Griffin griffinster at gmail.com
Wed Aug 18 10:57:28 WST 2004

My Father asked me if I could take the contents of a VHS tape he had
borrowed from a friend (a 2 part series off the ABC entitled
"Longitude") and put it onto a DVD for him. I set about and  (via a
borrowed DigiCam) copied the 3 hour VHS tape in stages to 2 x 1 hour
mini DigiCam tapes and then down to my PC via the Cannon Video
Presenter software that came with the DigiCam (thought it would be
most compatable). Trouble is it saved it in a .dv format (what this is
I know not).
So after all this I end up with Longitude-1.dv, Longitude-2.dv and
Longitude-3.dv.
The next step was to convert these to something that I could then put
onto a DVD, trouble is anything that will read these files will only
allow me to play them, attempting to convert them works but I get no
sound. As you would have guessed, this is all on Windblows.
Does anyone know if I can get this completed using Linux?
That is, convert the .dv files to something like .mpg or .avi.
I no longer have the VHS tape and only two of the three on mini dv
tape. I have borrowed the DigiCam again and used Nero to download the
two mini tapes directly to mpg without trouble but the third file is
where I am stuck.
Sorry for the long saga.

Chris Griffin