[plug] Converting Video formats on Linux

Rob Davies rob at rjdarts.com
Wed Aug 18 11:43:51 WST 2004

On 18 Aug 2004, at 10:57am, Chris Griffin wrote:

> My Father asked me if I could take the contents of a VHS tape he had
> borrowed from a friend (a 2 part series off the ABC entitled
> "Longitude") and put it onto a DVD for him. I set about and  (via a
> borrowed DigiCam) copied the 3 hour VHS tape in stages to 2 x 1 hour
> mini DigiCam tapes and then down to my PC via the Cannon Video
> Presenter software that came with the DigiCam (thought it would be
> most compatable). Trouble is it saved it in a .dv format (what this is
> I know not).

.dv is the compressed video from your minidv camcorder that can be
edited or played back through any video editing software, then compiled
further for dvd or film.

Too convert to something that can be played on a PC or even played try
Quicktime Pro, then export to which ever format you require, this is a
standard for me  on a mac, remember it must be the pro version.
WindowsMovie Maker is another for that platform?

Cinelerra is one that works on linux quite well, but if you have never
used editing software before this could be a bit  daunting.
http://heroinewarrior.com/cinelerra.php3

Then as mentioned before it depends on what you plan on doing with
completed documentary to be able to answer it any further.

Cheers!
Rob Davies
rob at rjdarts.com

"It is the world which makes known to us our belonging to a
subject-communtiy, especially the existence in the world of the
manufactured objects." Sartre.