[plug] odd file manager hangs

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Wed Aug 18 15:34:38 WST 2004

Mark O'Shea wrote:

> Nope never seen this before.  Don't know what's causing it.  That leaves
> guesses and voodoo (are you up to date with your chicken sacrifices?)

*cluck*
*cluck*
*squawk**SQUAWK*

> I don't really use graphical file managers much but does this version of
> nautilus produce thumbnails of the documents/images that they are
> browsing?  That might be causing a problem if two are trying to do that
> at the same time (although it shouldn't).

There are no images in the directory concerned, nor anything else it
might be thumbnailing. Good thought though.

> Have you replicated this on a local x server (to rule out any networking
> unexpectedness)?

Yes. More info on that to come shortly as I've just got one happening on
my local display and extracted some more info.

> If you could get some more information like ps and lsof listings that
> might help, as well as how well the network is coping with the traffic
> (although you said the smb clients were working okay during these
> problems).

The main issue there is catching it and getting the info before the hang
clears up. I've only just managed to do just that. Again, more info coming.

--
Craig Ringer