[plug] odd file manager hangs

James Devenish devenish at guild.uwa.edu.au
Wed Aug 18 16:29:43 WST 2004

In message <412312E4.9090603 at postnewspapers.com.au>
on Wed, Aug 18, 2004 at 04:27:16PM +0800, Craig Ringer wrote:
> I wonder if having
> strace attached caused it to somehow 'die harder' - after all, IIRC
> strace can change the behaviour of threaded apps.

If you're using 2.6, can you dispense with strace completely? I was
under the impression that /proc was originally (quite separately from
Linux) connected with the desire to dispose of ptrace-style attachment.
However, as far as I know, Linux <2.6 does not provide the /proc
facilities for tracing. (In comparison, Solaris does.) I don't know
whether 2.6 provides any facilities, but you might just check for their
existence.