[plug] odd file manager hangs

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Wed Aug 18 16:55:43 WST 2004

A few minutes ago, I wrote:

>> I don't know if
>> I've understood the situation correctly, but is the parent waiting for
>> I/O from its child?
>
> I /suspect/ it's just a pipe used for parent/child communications.

Hmm, on second thoughts that may not make so much sense given:

nautilus  25841    craig   21r  FIFO        0,7             8476683 pipe
nautilus  25841    craig   22w  FIFO        0,7             8476683 pipe
           ^^^^^

that the pipe appears to be attached to the same process on the reading
and writing ends. Eh; it's clear there's stuff going on here I just
don't understand.

I was hoping someone might be able to pop up with a quick "Yeah, I've
seen this," but as that's apparently not the case I'll continue to plod
onwards.

--
Craig Ringer