[plug] 2GB swap limit

William Kenworthy billk at iinet.net.au
Thu Aug 19 07:06:21 WST 2004

I believe it is.  Also, if you have the option, put each one on a
separate HD and use the same priority - swap will then stripe the data
in raid0 fashion for a useful speed boost.  If you use swapfiles (vs
swap partitions), make sure you map the priorities so swapfiles get used
last - theyre really slow.

The bad news is most apps dont seem to handle unlimited swap.  i.e., GD
dies somewhere about 5g memory usage when given access to 1g ram, 2x1g
swaps and 2x2g swap files. Different combinations on different machines
still die ... gnumeric will also benefit (havent tested lately) from
large swap files, but Ive only used ~2-3g of swap and it hasnt dropped
dead - just slows down a *LOT* when it gets to a swapfile vs swap
partition (30+ minute when saving data at times)

If this is a temporary thing, swapfiles can be a temp fix - slow but
sometimes a lifesaver (quick ctrlz, then add the file then fg!)

BillK