[plug] odd file manager hangs

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Thu Aug 19 13:46:34 WST 2004

On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 11:40 am, Mark O'Shea wrote:

> Have you got any further with this Craig?

Nope. A kernel upgrade is scheduled for Friday night. Yay.

> I've been following the
> thread but didn't have any more ideas to add.  But it strikes me that
> you shouldn't really ignore the thumbnail generation idea.  It looks
> like these graphical filemanagers have different icons for each type of
> file that it encounters (image, document, text file, script etc) and to
> find out what type of file it is I assume it must examine the file,  I
> can change the extension at the end and it still knows what it is (as I
> would expect).  So for instance my konqueror here can tell the different
> between a text file and a perl script.  I'm assuming that it looks at
> the top line to find that out.

That's reasonable. I haven't seen any evidence yet that it is thumbnailing
that's the problem, though. Among other things, the problem directory
contains nothing to thumbnail (all application/msword, so the file manager
doens't even bother to look).

A notable exception to this is directories, which nautilus counts the contents
of. However, konqueror has the same problem - and it does not count
directiory contents.

I've also just reproduced the problem again - with all thumbnailing disabled.
Interestingly, I noticed the freeze when aiming konqueror at the directory,
so I quickly launched nautilus and pointed it at the same directory. Nautilus
also froze. Both unfroze at _exactly_ the same time. I don't think this is an
application issue - it's looking more and more kernel-ish with behaviour like
that.

> Could the filemanagers be having a quick check of all the files in the
> directory?  And sometimes having trouble doing this?

Not from what I'm seeing, given the continued problems with FAM and
thumbnailing off, plus the simultaneous unfreezing of konq and nautilus just
now.

As a total aside: is it just me, or does Kmail not support IMAP SEARCH? I'm
trying out Kontact in KDE 3.3, having had it recommended, and so far - well,
kmail has improved but not enough. No speling check - and many people here
know how I need that ;-) . No IMAP SEARCH, so I can't make use of Cyrus's
squatter indexing. Colour me unimpressed - I'm going back to Evolution. If
only Evolution was as easy to build new versions of as Kmail (as part of KDE)
is...

--
Craig Ringer