[plug] mounting home directories

Carl Gherardi cgherardi at iprimus.com.au
Fri Aug 20 19:16:35 WST 2004

Late - but samba has user mapping built in for this. I haven't used
versions of samba > 3 yet but the following works pretty well.

On 11/08/2004, at 10:03 AM, James Devenish wrote:

> In message <41197C22.6090607 at smlintl.com.au>
> on Wed, Aug 11, 2004 at 09:53:38AM +0800, Marc Wiriadisastra wrote:
>> The user and group is listed as 508 now that is the same number as my
>> username number or uid.
>> drwxr-x---  1 508 508     0 Jul 29 14:56 Marketingchoice
>
> When you talk about these things, we need to be clear about whether you
> are referring to details on the server or on your laptop. I will assume
> that if you look at the files on the server, you see them owned by
> "marc-w" but on the laptop you see them as owned by "508".

On your samba server create a file as root in the same directory as
your smb.conf file called user.map. Add the line:

mark-w = "samba username"

Replacing samba username with whatever username you are using for smb
authentication.

Then add the line:

username map = /path/to/user.map

To your smb.conf file, restart samba, remount on the client with just a
username password pair and things should "just work" (tm)

Hope that helps.

Cheers

Carl