[plug] Need to ping a subnet...

James Devenish devenish at guild.uwa.edu.au
Sat Aug 21 14:14:03 WST 2004

Hi,

In message <d12e5c904082023055b3b186c at mail.gmail.com>
on Sat, Aug 21, 2004 at 02:05:40PM +0800, Senectus . wrote:
> I have put my old Linksys WAP11 on the network and I've forgotten what
> IP address it had before so I need to strobe the network to see what
> address it thinks it has... [then] I can http to it...
>
> Any idea what automated linux app will let me do that?

You probably don't want to "strobe" the network as such. If you know
the IPv4 subnet, you could probably elicit a response easily by using
a broadcast message, or by monitoring for broadcast messages (e.g. ARP
messages). An easy way to get a quick-and-dirty assessment of IP hosts
is:

ping -b a.b.c.d

(Where a.b.c.d is the broadcast address of the IPv4 subnet on which the
device is connected.) Of course, this could return thousands of hosts if
you are on a large network, and you would need to weed out the "known"
hosts. Alternatively, if you really want to iterate through a confined
range of hosts, it could be done in one line of shell scripting.