[plug] AMD64 distros

Bernd Felsche bernie at innovative.iinet.net.au
Sun Aug 22 10:07:52 WST 2004

On Sunday 22 August 2004 09:39, Michael wrote:
> On Sun, 22 Aug 2004, Sol Hanna wrote:
> > Have you tried Suse 9.1 Professional?
> > http://www.suse.com/us/private/products/suse_linux/prof/64bit.html
> >
> > Contact me off list if you want to get copy.

> How does Suse go for the latest software? I mean, Mandrake has the
> Cooker and I know of the Suse People thing but thats about it, not
> how it works.  I can find all the mirrors but how do you update
> Suse? (I'm addicted to urpmi).

Officially, YaST Online Update (YOU).

The freely-available fou4s is lighter and (probably still) faster.
Much easier on the command line and cron. And it makes it
straight-forward to set up an internal "mirror" of applicable
patches for all hosts on your internal network; without necessarily
mirroring the whole external mirror site.

Just point either at the mirror site and let it rip.

I don't let either install patches automatically. Just update the
list of available/applicable ones and let me know when it's
downloaded.