[plug] AMD64 distros

Cameron Patrick cameron at patrick.wattle.id.au
Sun Aug 22 13:32:18 WST 2004

Michael wrote:

> > Unfortunately the debian-amd64 project is hosted on alioth which is
> > down at the moment :(
>
> From what I know about the debian-amd64 port is that its kinda lacking
> packages etc

Hmm.  From what I've heard, they've got >95% of sid compiled.  There
is very limited i386 compatibility.  Mainly it's needed for commercial
software and for Open Office (which doesn't run on 64-bit machines).
There's always the possibility of running arbitrary 32-bit software in
a chroot, too.

Like every 64-bit distro, you can't use a 32-bit 3D games with 64-bit X.

Cameron.