[plug] AMD64 distros

Michael quadfour at iinet.net.au
Sun Aug 22 14:05:19 WST 2004

On Sun, 22 Aug 2004, Chris Caston wrote:

> On Sun, 2004-08-22 at 11:41, Cameron Patrick wrote:
> > Michael wrote:
> >
> > > For the last 5 months or so since I've had an AMD64 system and have been
> > > running 32 bit distributions because I cannot find a good, practical 64
> > > bit distro for the AMD64 that has a good method for 32 bit compatibility
> > > and is updated often.
> >
> > Debian?
> >
> > Unfortunately the debian-amd64 project is hosted on alioth which is
> > down at the moment :(
> >
> Any idea how many of the packages have been ported yet?
>
> I assume you can still run win32 apps on 64-bit XP so it should be
> important to be able to run existing packages on 64 bit Linux.

I don't know about debian packages but the distros I've tried have had
most applications ported. Still, even with Windows, you will run into
library hell if trying to use 32 and 64 bit applications. Mandrake and
Suse both work around this by separating 64 and 32 bit libraries. Although
this has the drawback of multiple libraries, Mandrake for example can
still make use of RPMs to install 32 and 64 bit libraries and apps
together :)

Regards
Michael Collard