[plug] WINE issue trying to install cashbook complete

Brad Campbell brad at wasp.net.au
Sun Aug 22 17:18:47 WST 2004

Chris Caston wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to install cashbook complete
> (http://www.acclaimsoftware.com.au/) with wine 20040716.
>
> I had to create the install disks on a win32 boxen and am trying to
> install from these.

<Falls to knees> "on a win32 boxen" !?! It's not even a plural, let alone a correct one!
That's like trying to say "I'm going to kill a spiders"

I'm sorry, I feel better now.

> There is a file on one of the install disks called lzexpand.dl_
> The problem is that the cashbook complete installer running under WINE
> cannot expand this file and copy it to the fake windows system folder.
> The message it gets is "Access denied". I've just setting all the
> permissions on the install disks to 777 but not luck.

Sounds more like an internal issue than an issue with unix permissions.

> msexpand will not extract the file because it is NOT an MS-compressed
> file. File shows the following:
>
> file lzexpand.dl_
> lzexpand.dl_: MS-DOS executable (EXE), OS/2 or MS Windows
>
> Does anyone have any ideas on how I can get the installer to continue
> past this gotcha and to the next one?

Best guess is try and grab a copy of lzexpand.dll from somewhere else and whack it in there.
Try running wine with a decent debug trace output to see why it's giving an "access denied" message

What version of wine are you running?

wine --version

Regards,
Brad