[plug] Re: Willing to sell your Wizard box?

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Tue Aug 24 16:04:48 WST 2004

On Tue, 2004-08-24 at 15:54, Ben Jensz wrote:
> Site doesn't work for me (WestNet).

Are you running a caching nameserver on your network?

One thing I don't understand, by the way, is why these problems happen.
Surely it's not a big deal to reduce the TTL on the domain to say an
hour 3 days before the change, then 5 minutes 2 hours before. Make the
change, increment the TTL again, and all should be well with near-zero
distruption.

Or are some DNS servers really so brain dead as to ignore the TTL of the
server's response? I've seen indications that Optus's DNS servers, for
example, are somewhat badly behaved, but surely nobody would go that
far...

--
Craig Ringer