[plug] [OT] XP Remote

Craig Foster fostware at westnet.com.au
Tue Aug 24 22:10:59 WST 2004

<snip>
> As far as I understand it, the tech is planning to run two
> separate networks
> - one for upstairs, where the editing suites are, which will
> have no internet access but will have access to the file &
> printer server, and downstairs which will have full internet
> access - guess where the PHB works =).  I'm hazy on how he
> intends to set this up but IIRC he mentioned something about
> using the ADSL router and using one port for upstairs and one
> for down.  Does that sound right?

Ummm, "Draytek"?

Draytek 2600 and 2900 support throttling the speeds of each port on the
Draytek's inbuilt 4-port VLAN-able switch.
Good for those areas (like a workshop) that you want to be able to limit the
network speed and also limit access to just browsing websites and resolve
names, but not send NetBIOS or SMTP traffic to our office network.

<snip>

> skribe
> --

Tee hee
<whisper> I'll say "It runs linux" to stay on topic :P </whisper>

Although I'm surprised more people haven't heard of them, seeing as they can
withstand BitTorrent a lot better than 90% of the kit out there...

CraigF.