[plug] File Synchronize - Open Source

James Devenish devenish at guild.uwa.edu.au
Wed Aug 25 22:59:43 WST 2004

In message <20040825141841.GE21943 at cp.yi.org>
on Wed, Aug 25, 2004 at 10:18:41PM +0800, Cameron Patrick wrote:
> Brock Woolf wrote:
> >    just wondering if anyone knows of any Open Source file
> > synchronization programs out there.
> Unison!

Phew and Thank You! (I'm a declared Unison advocate, esp. as opposed to
using rsync for regular bi-directional synchronisation. Rsync is great
as a widely-deployed mechanism for mirroring, of course.)

Brock: with Mac OS X, a downside of Unison is that none of the consumer
versions include support for Mac resource forks. This makes it
not-so-great for syncing with arbitrary Macs, but nevertheless it
remains great for Mac<->Linux synchronisation. Personally, I install
Unison as a Fink package (i.e., `fink install unison` or `apt-get
install unison`), but that is because I already have Fink installed.
http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~bcpierce/unison/