[plug] permanently inserting modules

Cameron Patrick cameron at patrick.wattle.id.au
Thu Aug 26 15:59:12 WST 2004

Marc Wiriadisastra wrote:

> >Only on old kernels. With current stable (2.6) kernels, use
> >/etc/modprobe.preload
> >
> >Of course, if you didn't know either, the general place to put startup
> >commands is rc.local .
>
> Yeah I put it in already although in the debian system there is no
> rc.local.

AFAIK Debian doesn't have an rc.local /or/ a modprobe.preload.
/etc/modules is the normal place to put modules you want loaded on
boot.

And 'apt-get install discover hotplug' might be worth a try (assuming
you haven't got it installed already) -- discover and hotplug will
load the modules you need for most PCI and USB devices automatically.

Cameron.